While there is much to learn and know, there is one fact you must know right off the bat.. That parasailing is awesome! Some have even said that it’s one of the best things that they have experienced in Punta Cana.
If you can’t get enough of parasailing facts, we’ve collected 7 more fun facts that we bet you never knew:
- Parasailing was accidentally discovered! The first parasail parachute was attached to a moving car, by a man named Pierre Lamogine. He invented this daring form of parasailing as a training exercise in safe landings and parachute control. Using a vehicle on land was a much cheaper (safer?) way to train parachuters than out of a plane.
- As you can see from our first fact, there are different types of parasailing. Parasailers can be towed by a vehicle or by a boat but with the parasailer starting on the beach. But the most popular and safest method, is the winch method on a boat. This method is when a parasailer is connected to a hydraulic winch that allows the parasailer to be hoisted into the air and reeled back onto the boat.
- Parasailing is also known as parascending or parakiting - but we think that the name parasailing has the best ring - don’t you?
- The first parasailing canopy was designed in 1974 by a man named Brian Gaskin. The design was revolutionary, as it was one of the first canopies that could be used over water without absorbing a lot of moisture.
- A really successful parasailing flight depends on having the good weather and especially wind conditions. The ideal wind speed range is between 12 and 27 miles per hour.
- While some might consider Parasailing a sport, it is actually a leisure activity rather than a sport. There are very little physical requirement or skill involved, which is what makes it so great. Almost anyone can parasail, and there’s nothing strenuous about it!
- In WWII parasailers and paragliders were pulled by submarines to get a better vantage point to see warships coming over the horizon.
There you go, you now have a bunch of great parasailing facts that will make you the most interesting person at the next party or happy hour!